Friday, November 16, 2007

A few photos: my camera sees your face

What is a photograph? Is it a complete history, knitted into paper and memory? Or is it more like a ruthless liar--false yet desperate to convince? (Funny...I'm listening to Liars' "Houseclouds" as I type.)

I haven't decided which I like better.

untitled, 2005

















I did these black and white prints by hand, the prehistoric way, using an enlarger and chemicals. It's sad that the labor-intensive method is gone and dead, but computers save so much time. I felt dirty taking digital photos of the prints, though. I'm pretty sure a galaxy imploded somewhere by the time I finished my necessary photo-of-a-photo shoot. Brother above, brother and sister duo below.

untitled, 2005





















The below image is fake. I never took a photo of myself. Rather, I shot the surface of a small mirror in my upstairs bathroom back at home. The glass is an intermediary between myself and the camera's eye socket.

Self-portrait, 2007

No comments: